In reviewing a lot of law office case administration computer software packages, we’re frequently shocked at the variety of in excess of-priced packages that have “immediately creates a case variety” higher on the listing of attributes as if it’s a complicated thing to do, or even extraordinary as a bundle feature. Also, most of these packages basically build a 6-digit variety and commence at 000001 then go to 000002 and so on and you should not allow for you to customize.
We advise that case quantities ought to be codes that convey to you considerably additional than a uncomplicated variety does, but at the similar time, ought to have a uncomplicated structure so you can very easily build them and browse them on the fly.
Let’s glance at a uncomplicated yet enlightening case variety:
Let’s break this down a little bit:
- 20100310 is the date. Use the descending date structure because it’s much easier to glance up cases with a time-body reference. Descending dates are arranged starting off with the calendar year, then thirty day period, then working day, so in the illustration previously mentioned, the case was begun on March tenth, 2010.
- Future, is a two-letter code of your choice that suggests what sort of case this is. In our illustration previously mentioned, “FL” stands for “Family Law.” Right here are some tips: CL – Contract Law, PP – Item / Course of action, CD – Criminal Protection, etcetera. You can skip this if you only exercise one sort of legislation.
- Your Sub-Code is a second two-letter code clarifying the sort of case. In our Family Law illustration previously mentioned, “CC” stands for Baby Custody. Build a listing of applicable sub-codes and retain these stated in a “reference file” alongside with your case-sort codes from # two.
- Utilizing the client’s initials as element of your case variety is optional based on the sensitivity of the case and the client’s motivation for anonymity. In our illustration, we manufactured up the name “Jane Smith” and made use of JS. We surely do not propose working with the client’s name in the case variety.
- If you have a customer that might present many cases, put the precise variety of the case for that customer in parenthesis. In this illustration, this would be our 9th case for Jane Smith. If this is a single case with small possibility of repeat organization from this customer, you will never need to put any quantities at the close.
Hints and Tips:
- When making a case file variety, use it when naming word processor or spreadsheet files so anything can be searched and/or identified as up working with the case variety. Also, generate the variety on any folders and use it on stickers that may well go on CD / DVD cases, cassette tapes, evidence boxes, etcetera.
- Naming your computer system files also can make it uncomplicated to look for because most methods will permit you look for for element of the file name working with some type of “wild card” these as the asterisk*. For illustration, if you desired to see a listing of all Family Law cases in 2010, you would enter the look for string 2010*FL*.doc (if you had been looking for Microsoft Term ® files). Not only that, but basically listing them by file name will immediately demonstrate them in chronological get by advantage of their case variety by yourself.
- Instead than obtain intricate and in excess of-priced computer software packages, you can very easily use the computer software that likely came with your computer system these as your word processor and spreadsheet stated previously mentioned, and a calendar / get in touch with software these as Microsoft Outlook ®.
Future, to find out additional about case administration for paralegals and attorneys stop by: www.theattorneycasefile.com.
(Copyright 2010 – Paul Purcell. Authorization granted to share this posting furnished all parts stay intact.)